Request A1-certificate concerning the social security legislation for self-employed workers

The A1 certificate is a European portable document which certifies the social security legislation applicable to you when you pursue activities in more than one Member State of the European Economic Area (EEA), Switzerland or the United Kingdom. It includes:

  • the period for which the certificate is valid
  • the country in which you are subject to social security and where you pay social security contributions.

The A1 certificate is issued on request and is intended to prove in another Member State that you are not covered by social security there (for example during a control by the local social inspection services).

There are different types of A1 certificates.  The type of certificate you have to apply for depends on your situation. 

Do not forget to report any changes in your professional or living situation to your social security fund. 

Who issues the A1 certificate?

The A1 certificate is issued by the competent authority of the Member State whose legislation applies to you.  The competent country depends on your situation and is determined by Regulation 883/04 or the agreements with the United Kingdom.

In Belgium, the NISSE's International department issues A1 certificates to self-employed workers.

How to apply for the A1 certificate?

Apply for the A1 certificate online (every day between 3 o'clock and 24 o'clock)

Are you registered with a Belgian social security fund?
Did you pay all your social contributions?
Is additional examination necessary?

We will then send you an e-mail with the A1 certificate within a period of approximately 7 working days following your application. This certificate confirms that the Belgian social status still applies.

How long is the A1 certificate valid for?

The A1 certificate remains valid until the end date indicated in the document or until it is withdrawn by the body which issued it. 

More information?

Mail to 

Call +32 2 546 60 10


Extra information